Saturday, May 24, 2008

1st Day in Office

After sleeping for over 10 hours, I went to Torgerson Hall to meet my Professor, Dr. Alexey Onufriev and his Phd student, Ramu Anandakrishan, under whom I am working.

I was allocated a cubicle and a Computer to work. Ramu took me around the campus towards the Main Street and we had a coffee. He showed me various cafes and other hangout places in the campus. I was very happy to know that there is an Indian Restaurant out here. Can check that out in case I get bugged of my "Mess" food.

He then gave me an overview of the study he and Dr Onufriev are doing and told me what they want me to do. It is on Molecular Dynamics Simulation. We have to find an efficient way to compute electrostatic potential between the atoms of protein molecules. These forces determine the shape of the protein which in turn is very important for drug design for diseases. Uhhh..It is not that difficult as it sounds. I have to simulate an algorithm in NAB (Nucleic Acid Builder). The language is much similar to C/C++.

Then completed various formalities at Cranwell International Center, where its Director, Mrs. Kim Biesecker was waiting for us but we got lost and were late by an hour. Filled 3-4 forms and then went to Students Center to get the HOKIE PASSPORT (it is the I Card). Guess what got the I card in 2 mins flat with photo. I was literally awestruck when the woman behind the counter said that the Passport would be ready in 2 mins. This process generally takes months in our College but this is Virginia Tech and yes man these guys are well ahead of us.

Well, in all talking I have forgotten to mention about the Dining Hall. Its name is D2 (Dietrick Dining Hall). Its great. Its like a food court with 6 different restaurants all serving different cuisines. And yes there is a Vegetarian Section. Was really happy to know that but the taste of the food is very bland and peculiar. Trying to get accustomed to it. There is also a Dessert Section which serves amazing desserts. There is no limit on the quantity of the food to take and it is all included in our Internship Program so we dont have to pay anything extra. The charge for the meal for one time is $10. Its a buffet and a very good one too. I have been to buffets of 5 stars and I can say that it is of their comparison. So the biggest problem that of food is solved, just the taste which I am sure I'll get accustomed to by the time I leave. Oh the timings.....the breakfast and lunch times are fine. But the Dinner is served only between 5 and 6.30. Can you beat that...Dinner before sunset which normally happens at 9.

No comments: