Saturday, May 24, 2008

Dreamcome true

Well Hello All. So, finally I decided to write my own blog and why not, now that I have so much to say. Here is my first blog.

It all started on 19th May, 2008. I finally left for my VT (Vocational Training) at VT (Virginia Tech) :-). Had to take flight from Kolkata to Delhi to save money of Virginia Tech :( The Delhi Airport was like a fish market. Had never thought that an airport in India would ever be so congested. First had to stand in a queue for an hour for the boarding pass and then an hour for the immigration formalities. It was very very tiring. Even the KLM people had never managed such crowd. But none the less, I was more than excited to be on the flight. I had a stopover at Amsterdam and the temperature was 4 C and it was summer time. I was freezing and did not have any warm clothes either. Then the next stopover at Detroit. The Detroit Airport is awesome. And then I took a flight to Roanoke. The flight was a small one with just 30 seats. It was so small that there had to be proper balance of weight on both sides for the flight to fly. And this took 15mins. Then when it took off, it was going tipsy turvy sideways and I had my heart in my mouth. Felt damn scared. Then there were some turbulences on the way. One was so bad that it felt that I was traveling on one of the worst Indian roads filled with potholes. But all was well and I reached Roanoke. From Roanoke, I took a Smartway Bus to Blacksburg, an hours drive. So after traveling for nearly 30 hours, I reached Virginia Tech.

At the bus stop, there was a surprise in store for me. I had my Professor waiting for me. It was very kind of him. Moreover he even helped me pick my bags. Does this happen in India. He then showed me my room and we took a walk around the campus and found where the Dining Hall was.

In my Dorm, I was more than amazed to see my room. Its no less than a 5 star compared to the rooms that we have in our college. Dont know how would I again settle down in the pathetic rooms of NIT Durgapur. We also have a huge Kitchen on each floor fully equipped with ovens and all other stuff required for cooking, though I have no plans of cooking, I still liked it a lot.

Melissa from Pertorica in the Caribbean helped me explore the Dorm as she had been here two days before. She is also an Intern but in a different program. People here are damn friendly and dont have any apprehensions as back there. Also made friends with Tim, Nex, Hectar and Lauren.

Off to sleep.

P.S. Writing this blog so late, i.e., 4 days after arriving because dint have charge in my Laptop because everything here runs on 110V supply unlike 220V as in India. So had to buy a 220-110 converter.

No comments: